Shane

In memory of Shane Torrence (1/28/93 - 9/11/99)
A mom on a mission raising awareness of the condition that took my only child at age 6 and a half - Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia CDH takes the lives of 15,000 children every year and harms 15,000 more.
Will you care? http://www.cdhsupport.org

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

2014 CDH Awareness Day

Once again I'm fundraising for CDH in memory of my son, Shane, for Aypril 19th, the International Day of Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Awareness!   Please help if you can and even start your own Firstgiving to help!

https://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/DawnWilliamson/cdhawarenessday2014



I am fundraising for Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Research because I lost my only child, Shane, to CDH at 6 and a half years old.

CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully grow, allowing abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth.

Shane was born with CDH in 1993 and spent his first 10 months in intensive care.  He came home on a ventilator, oxygen, feeding, trached and blind and deaf.   His entire 6 years were a struggle but he overcame a lot and was a generally happy little boy.  We lost him unexpectedly in 1999.  You can read his story at http://cherubshane.blogspot.com

He was the light of my life and there are no words in the English language to describe how heartbroken I am or how much I miss him every single day still.

Not knowing WHY is the hardest part.  Why him?  Why was he born with CDH?  Did I do something wrong when I was pregnant?  Is it hereditary?  Will future children I have also have CDH too?   Why wasn't there better surgical material to stop my son from having so many surgeries?  I have beat myself up for 20 years now wondering if could have done something, anything differently to save my son and prevent CDH.

1600 babies are born with CDH every single year in the U.S.   50% do not survive.   Every one of those parents are just like me - asking why.

Please help save other CDH babies by making a tax-deductible donation.  Donating through this website is simple, fast and totally secure. It is also the most efficient way to support my fundraising efforts.

Many thanks for your support -- and don't forget to forward this to anyone who you think might want to donate too!


No comments:

Post a Comment